If you are one of those passionate online community leaders mobilizing people to come together as a group and work towards creating a positive impact, then you can apply for a new fellowship opportunity which offers grants of up to USD $1,000,000.
One of the important conditions to apply for this grant is that you should be using any one of the Facebook products or services to bring your community together. You can be leading the Facebook Group or WhatsApp Group or even Instagram, Messenger, Oculus or Facebook connectivity efforts to build and strengthen your group.
This funding has been announced by the Facebook Community Leadership Program, which is a residency and fellowship providing training, support and funding to help enable extraordinary leaders advance a specific community initiative.
Up to five community leaders with the boldest, highest impact ideas will be selected from around the world as community leaders in residence with a grant of up to $1,000,000 USD each to fund their proposal.
Up to 100 global community leaders will be selected for the fellowship program and will receive a grant of up to $50,000 USD each to be used for a specific community initiative.
The benefits of the Program for selected Fellows are:
- A grant of up to $1,000,000 USD to be used for a specific community initiative
- Customized leadership development
- Opportunity to be in residence collaborating with Facebook teams
- Support to execute your grant proposal and resources to help with technical issues
Facebook is looking for leaders who have inclusive and demonstrative abilities to bridge differences, bring people together both in person and online as a way of strengthening community and they should have a proven track record of community building in the following areas:
Eligibility requirements to submit your application for this fellowship opportunity are, as follows:
- Applicants must utilize a product or service within the Facebook family of apps and services for the purpose of building community. This includes but is not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, Oculus and Facebook connectivity efforts (Free Basics or Express Wi-Fi).
- Applicants must comply with all applicable terms and policies governing the use of our apps and services, and the communities they represent must be in good standing and engaged in activities and discussions that are anchored on positive impact, rather than demeaning other people, groups, or points of view.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or the age of majority in their local country, whichever is higher.
Because use of our products is essential to program participation, only applicants from regions and countries where Facebook can legally operate are eligible.
- Given that people selected to participate in the program will receive funding, only applicants from countries where Facebook can legally make payments are eligible.
- Applicants leading communities focused on and/or use of program funds for the following activities are ineligible:
- Political campaign activities (e.g. on behalf of an active candidate for elected office)
- Political lobbying activities (e.g. a 501(c)4 entity in the US)
If you are selected for this fellowship, you will be required to commit some time for this fellowship. As a Fellow, you will need to attend in-person to participate four multi-day gatherings hosted by Facebook. You also need to send a few hours every month for additional training and virtual meet-ups. Additionally, you also need to implement the activities for your community under the grant received from the fellowship.
The residency is at minimum a one-year program, with the length determined in collaboration with residents based on each proposal. The fellowship is a one-year program. Both the residency and the fellowship kick off in summer 2018.
Facebook will cover travel, lodging and meal costs for program participants attending in-person gatherings related to the residency or fellowship.
You can learn more about this fellowship opportunity, visit