The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy is seeking applications for 2019 South East Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP) which is sponsored by the U.S. Embassy and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State.
The 2019 SEAYLP convenes high school students and adult mentors from the ten ASEAN member countries for a three-week U.S.-based exchange program, focused on leadership and youth development and to explore shared challenges faced by the United States and ASEAN member countries. These challenges are explored through the three pillars of the ASEAN community: diplomatic and security cooperation, economic skills-building (through the exchange’s project development), and socio-cultural leadership (through hands-on activities, workshops, seminars, and site visits to foster greater communication). Participants will develop projects to address the needs of their communities upon their return home.
All costs for this exchange program are covered by the U.S. Department of State.
- Students who may apply are those who:
- Will be at least 15 years old and not more than 17 years old on April 1, 2019;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential in their school and/or community;
- Have strong English language skills; and strong academic and social skills;
- Have a commitment to or interest in civic action and interested in community service; and
- Have permission from parent(s)/guardian(s) and schools to participate in the entire program.
- Adult mentors who may apply are those who:
- Teach at a secondary school or work with youth in a professional or volunteer capacity;
- Are well respected in the community;
- Are willing to serve as mentors for the youth on this program
- Have strong English language skills; and
- Are committed to continue working with SEAYLP participants after their return from the United States.
- Have travel experience outside their home state or province, such as to the national capital; international travel experience is not required
How to Apply
Applications must be in PDF File only and must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
Deadline: 14 December 2018
For more information, please visit SEAYLP.