The exchanges will take place in April 2019 and participants will implement follow-on pro-jects in their home communities after the programs. The programs welcome applications from both student participants and adult chaperones.
- To promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and partner countries
- To develop a sense of civic responsibility and commitment to community development among youth
- To develop leadership skills among youth
- To foster relationships among youth from different backgrounds
- To focus on leadership and youth development, to explore shared challenges faced by the United States and ASEAN member countries.
- Exchange activities will include site visits, workshops, interactive sessions, diplomacy simulations, leadership training, team-building exercises, study tour and homestays with American families.
- Extracurricular activities including volunteer service opportunities and interactive site visits with relevant organizations in host communities will round out the program.
- The adult participants will have special sessions with adult peers designed to help foster leadership and civic education programs when they return home.
- Participants will develop a plan for a follow-on activity during the exchange and are expected to implement it in their school or community upon their return home.
- Student participants must:
- be between 15 – 19 years old as of April 1, 2019
- be high school or first-year college students currently enrolled in schools and universities in Myanmar
- have interest in civic action and community service
- have strong academic and social skills and have leadership potential
- Adult chaperones must:
- be teachers or community leaders who work with youth
- have good English skills and a university degree
- to act as mentors for the youth participants
- have demonstrated leadership skills
- be interested in helping youth develop their potential
- be committed to working with MYLP participants after their return from the United States
- be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity, and fostering positive regional and global interactions.
How to Apply
Applicants can download the application form via given website.
Deadline: 11 December 2018
For more information, please visit 2019 Myanmar Youth Leadership Program.